Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Final Procrastination

All of my housemates are getting excited. Near the end of the quarter, without fail, our place is always spotlessly clean, organized, and smelling of freshly baked goods. This is my form of procrastination. Instead of studying for the final or writing that last paper, I take it upon myself to do all the things that I normally avoid. An unmade bed or a Lean Cuisine meal usually are enough for me. During finals week, I will try reorganizing the kitchen and make a four course meal. It's like the dread of doing any of the things I need to do turns me into this different person. Procrastination is weird in that way.

Everyone has a story about procrastination. This recently came to my attention when I finally went to an overdue meeting with my advisor and all that I learned was that she was suffering of an addiction to Angry Birds. While some of these stories are more extreme than others, procrastination is something that unites us all. It's not really that surprising with websites such as Stumbleupon or Tumbler that practically encourage procrastination. Everyone is told how bad procrastination really is. The countless proverbs and bumper stickers that encourage carpe diem, doing today instead of putting off until tomorrow etc, further emphasize how bad procrastination is. In my experience, however, procrastination, while stifling to what needs to be done, actually accomplishes more than we think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment